Dental implants have revolutionized the world of dentistry, offering patients who suffer from tooth loss a smile that looks and feels natural. Gone are the days when dentures were the only option for those missing teeth. However, not everyone is automatically a candidate for dental implants. In this blog, we will discuss who is a good candidate and what to expect during the process at AZ Max Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a titanium post that mimics the root of a natural tooth and serves as a secure foundation for a crown, which replaces the visible part of the tooth. Dental implants are designed to withstand chewing forces and can last several decades with proper maintenance. Because they are surgically placed in the jawbone, dental implants are permanent and do not require removal for cleaning or adjustments like traditional dentures.
Who Is a Suitable Candidate for Dental Implants?
It’s crucial to assess your overall health and specific dental needs before embarking on the dental implant journey. The following factors must be considered:
- Healthy gums and bone structure: Patients with healthy gums are at a lower risk of developing complications after a dental implant procedure. Additionally, a strong jawbone structure is necessary to support the implant and ensure successful osseointegration – the process where the implant fuses with your jawbone.
- Sufficient bone density: Adequate bone density is vital in providing a stable base for the implant. If a patient has bone loss due to periodontal disease or tooth extraction, a bone graft may be required before the implant procedure.
- Good oral health: Good oral hygiene will not only benefit your overall dental health but also ensure the success of the dental implant procedure. Regular dental checkups, brushing, and flossing will help minimize the risk of infections that can damage your implant.
- Free from chronic condition: Patients who suffer from chronic diseases, such as diabetes or immune system disorders, may experience slower healing after surgery or have a higher risk of implant complications. Discuss your medical history with your oral surgeon to determine if dental implants are a suitable option for you. The surgeons at AZ Max can work with you and your other medical providers to optimize you for a dental implant procedure.
Consultation and Treatment at AZ Max Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
An initial consultation with one of our skilled oral surgeons will involve a comprehensive evaluation of your dental health, including X-rays and possibly a 3D CT scan. This examination will help determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants and allow us to create a personalized treatment plan.
The dental implant process typically occurs in three stages:
- Implant placement: A titanium post is surgically placed into the jawbone.
- Healing and osseointegration: The implant fuses with your jawbone, which can take several months.
- Restoration: Once the implant is fused and healed, your oral surgeon will attach an abutment and custom-made crown to complete the process.
At AZ Max Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, our highly trained team is committed to providing the most advanced dental implant services to restore your smile’s function and appearance. If you are searching for dental implants near me, contact AZ Max Oral Surgery to schedule a consultation and learn more about your options. Together, we’ll help you determine if dental implants are the right option for you.
Dental Implants Mesa AZ
If you are searching for a dental implant specialist in the Phoenix East Valley and Show Low, look no further than AZ Max Oral Surgery. Our experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeons are leaders in implant dentistry and will tailor a treatment plan to meet your individual needs. Learn more about our advanced dental implant services offered at AZ Max Oral Surgery today. Call or text (480) 830-5866 to book an appointment or complete the online booking form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your overall health and specific dental needs must be taken into consideration before choosing this treatment option. Discuss your medical history with your oral surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
Patients who suffer from chronic diseases, such as diabetes or immune system disorders, may experience slower healing after surgery or have a higher risk of implant complications. Additionally, patients with unhealthy gums and insufficient bone density are not good candidates for dental implants. However, these conditions do not automatically disqualify you from the procedure. Our experienced surgeons will review your dental health and determine the best treatment plan for you. The surgeons at AZ Max will work with your medical providers to optimize your health and prepare you for dental implant surgery.
The dental implant process typically occurs in three stages: implant placement, healing and osseointegration, and restoration. The implant placement procedure is surgically performed to place a titanium post into your jawbone. Then, the implant will fuse with your jawbone and heal over several months. Finally, an abutment and custom-made crown will be attached to complete the process.